Yesterday I wanted to change something on my Web server, so I logged in to Virtualmin and what did I find, but that I’m about to run out of bandwidth.
Almost out of 30 Gigs of bandwidth
What’s interesting is that I usually use about a gig a month, and to the best of mine and Google Analytics knowledge, I haven’t been Slashdotted or Dugg or anything like that.
So after some spelunking in the access logs, turns out it’s idiots hotlinking images to show on MySpace and some Spanish forum. Apparently, my cactus flower images are popular, which is great, except for the aforementioned hotlinking.
Also, there seems to be a disturbingly great amount of people who are searching Google Images for pictures of enemas.
Note to those people: What the hell is wrong with you? I mean, really. Seek help.
So, you post one picture of your cat after (not during) she has an enema, and the enema lovers are your friends forever.
After some .htaccess noodling, the MySpace idiots and the Spanish forum people won’t be using my bandwidth anymore.
While in a nerdy kind of mood, I went ahead and updated the blog to Wordpress 2.5.1, the latest and greatest, using the tracking Subversion method. It worked a whole lot better than the rhythm method [rimshot]. Pretty darn close to magic, I must say. A couple of simple commands, and badabing! Wordpress is updated. This makes me very happy.
I also hear rumors about people who don’t spend their Saturdays mucking with their Web sites. I choose to not believe those rumors.
Posted Saturday, 26 April, 2008 by Nic Lindh